North West Vehicle Restoration Trust Protecting our past for the future
North West Vehicle Restoration TrustProtecting our past for the future

21 (KMN 519)

Details:

Registration:

KMN 519

Chassis:
Number:

Leyland Comet CPO1

490414

Body:

Park Royal

Layout:

B30F

New:

1950

Current Status:

Restored

 

History

New to Douglas Corporaion as there no 21, 21 was one of 3 similar buses with Park Royal Ash Framed bodywork, but today is the only one remaining.

 

Originally seating 26 passengers but upseated at a later date to 30 seats. The interior features polished wood trim and red moquette seating.

 

The Leyland Comet was generally a wagon chassis but around 5 buses and 150 coaches were also built.

Powered by a Leyland 0.300 engine of 5.76litres capacity, possibly the forerunners of todays Midibuses!

 

Originally conductor operated, they were also operated as one man vehicles later in their life. 

 

It carries the EA (Extended Area) mark on the front nearside panel ,which means it could be operated on all routes even the ones outside the Douglas Corporation boundary such as Port Soderick.

 

Normally vehicles staying within the Douglas Corporation boundary did not pay Vehicle Excise duty.

Withdrawn in April 1968 it passes to Parkinsons builders Braddan for staff transport, and eventually withdrawn by them in July 1979. 

 

It was purchased by its current owner in September 1979 for preservation, and travelled back to the United Kingdom on the then new Manx Line Ro Ro service operated by the Manx Viking which itself was a superb ship!

A complete restoration took place between other projects, being eventually completed in 1993.

 

Currently on loan to the Jurby Transport Museum in the Isle of Man 21 has attended several events such as the annual Douglas Carnival